If you’re looking for a partner who can go with you to exercise, look no further, these 12 dog breeds were born to run. First go to your local pet shelter or rescue organization looking for a race or mix of races you love to run to.
First a few essential tips
- Before you start exercising with your dog, take it with your veterinarian to make sure it is in good shape to run with you.
- Always monitor your pet for signs of extreme fatigue, limp, excessive gasping, agitation, and other signs that indicate they are trying harder than they should.
- Do not pressure your pet to run in extreme heat, cold or high humidity; when air quality is poor or when road conditions are dangerous.
- Try using a leash of at least 1.45 meters, and a harness that will allow you to control your pet, and protect it against a traditional collar. Try not to use retractable straps, which are so many against indications.
- We will post in another blog post a guide on how to gradually train with your pet, but mainly keep in mind starting with shorter intervals and then progressing progressively in time and distances.
12 Breeds of Dogs That Were Born To Run
Jack Russell Terrier
Small in body but with lots of energy to burn, the Jack Russell can run at surprisingly long intervals, reaching a speed of over 25 mph in short explosions.
This breed is so fast that it is often called “the breeze.” It is the size of a medium dog with lots of energy and lightness perfect for running.
Dalmatians were actually bred to run next to carriages and horseback riders, so they love to run next to their humans, as they bring it in genes.
With their long legs and elegant bodies, the greyhounds are made for speed and can reach up to 45 mph. When they’re not doing those energetic explosions of speed, you can find them taking a nap on the couch.
English greyhound is believed to be a mixture of greyhound, Italian greyhound and terrier. With that lineage, it is no surprise that it is sometimes called the “racehorse of poor men.” Believe it or not, an English greyhound can run up to 200 yards (182 meters) in less than 12 seconds.
German Short Hair Braco
This race is athletic, with tremendous endurance and those back muscles are designed to run. Because you need to exercise every day, it is a perfect companion for hiking and long bike rides.
Don’t let that hairstyle fool you — the poodle is full of energy and was originally bred as a hunting dog and water logger, making it an excellent companion for long runs.
Australian Boyman Dog
This dog was bred to herd cattle in Australian ranches, so running is in his blood. You can run miles, without resting, so it is an excellent option if you need to run with someone without resting.
Airedales thrive in warmer climates thanks to their short coat. This is not a big dog or very muscular, so short reels (10 kilometers or less) are ideal for your energy level and endurance.
Best known for their incredible intelligence and skills with flying balls and agility events, border collies are also excellent runners and have come to record speeds of over 30 mph.
The agile “gray ghost” adapts to all types of races. It is excellent in fast and short speed explosions and can easily cover long distances. Its short coat makes it possible to run in hot weather without any problems and can also do it on difficult terrain and trails.
If you live in cold weather, a husky is the perfect running companion. This dog was bred to pull sleds, so the resistance to running is found in his blood.
Written by Raul of Team Barki
Dra Karen Becker Veterinary Holistic.
You are on theBark in Green® blog where you will find tips for the health and happiness of your pets.
Bark in Green®
Design Company for Pet Parents, Sustainable, triple impact and free of animal cruelty.
Other Blog Posts Recommended.
- SONGS TO WALK WITH YOUR DOG
- How to leash train a Dog
- The smartest dog breeds
- 35 Behaviors of Your Dog Explained
- Avocado | Is it toxic for Pets?
Dog Hood Rain Coat | Hunter GreenProduct on sale$38.00 – $55.00
Dog Hood Rain Coat | RedProduct on sale$38.00 – $55.00
Dog Hood Rain Coat | YellowProduct on sale$38.00 – $55.00
Dog Hood Rain Coat | SilverProduct on sale$38.00 – $55.00
Dog Hood Rain Coat | GreyProduct on sale$38.00 – $55.00
Miami Dog Rain Coat$35.00 – $49.00